Friday, February 1, 2013

Restart

I am restarting this blog. Precautionary alert: I have never been good at putting up regular blog posts. I am hoping that this project will propel me into posting regularly.

My new goal for this blog is to help raise awareness about depression and mental illness. The majority of the time that mental illness makes the news is when there is a negative problem with it (i.e. school shootings, stand-offs, etc.). Depression affects 5–8 percent of adults in the U.S. (NAMI.org). It affects women more than men. It can be debilitating.

Please do not think I am doing this for sympathy. I have seen people around me suffer, I have suffered, and it is time to bring this issue out into the light. Once upon a time breast cancer was something to hide, but that is no longer the case. Look at how many people are helped each year by breast cancer awareness. My goal is to bring that type of awareness to mental illness.

thanks.

-h

No comments: